Infrastructure Upgrades (Part 1)

PVC pipe ready

Finally a break from the rain! Wait – what’s that just over the horizon? It’s tropical storm Dorian, and we are right in the path!

Now that the property has dried out a bit I can get to work on the big infrastructure upgrade project. This is primarily adding water pipes for irrigation and other uses plus power to all different parts of the property. Once this is in place I can begin the fun stuff like a new and improved garden area. This week I purchased some of the pipe needed and leveled out the location where the new garden will be Check out the video of the progress:

Hopefully Dorian doesn’t cause too much interruption as I’m prepping everything to be ready for the end of September or beginning of October, that’s when I want to rent a trencher and get everything in place. To be completed before I can begin the trenching – buy all materials, get utilities located (power and internet wire), reserve trencher, clear and mark all paths. A lot to do!

This coming weekend is when Dorian is supposed to pass over, if it’s interesting I’ll post some video. Until then, stay dry!

 

Infrastructure Project and Clover Flop

Another two weeks has passed since I planted the clover around the property and there still hasn’t been any significant growth. This may change over the coming weeks due to the rainy season starting, if it does then I’ll make sure to show it here. In the meantime, I’ve started another major project.

I’m calling this one the infrastructure project, it is basically putting all the plumbing and electrical wiring underground around the property to support future plans. I’m trying to do this in one shot as much as possible so the planning stage is very critical. I’ve created a map of where I think everything needs to go:

Infrastructure map

The first step was to lay out the locations for things such as the new garden area and the potting shed, then mark the plumbing and electrical connections based on these. Second, I placed markers all around the property for the remaining connections. There was some changes from this original design so I will have to make an updated map. Next, I measured the distanced for each item so I know how much pipe, connectors, and wire to buy.  This is where I am at now.

Once the items are purchased I’ll call in for a utility locate, this is where the power and cable company come in and mark the locations of their wires. I don’t have to worry about existing pipes since I am on well and septic and I know where they are located. Once this is done I’ll rent a trencher for a weekend and get everything underground. The final step will be hooking it all up.

Here’s a video walk through of where I am at now:

I’ll spend a couple of weeks double checking everything and getting the house connections ready, Stay tuned!